Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Reasonable VS Unreasonable Goals

This is sort of a New Year's post, call it semi-New Yearish...

I go back and forth a lot between whether I think it's good for guys to set reasonable or unreasonable goals.

The basic discussion comes down to this:

With reasonable goals you are MUCH MUCH more likely to achieve and therefore feel better about yourself and improve your life.

With unreasonable goals you have a MUCH MUCH MUCH worse chance of achieving these goals, however they may help you to reach higher than you would have with more reasonable goals.

So what's a guy to do?

Personally I only set realistic goals at this point of my life. It's fun to sit around and think of all these amazing situations but IME you just end getting pissed off because you won't be able to achieve the goal easily and most people (myself included) don't have the perseverance necessary to keep going through failure after failure after failure.

So my final official take is this:

If you're going to set goals, be realistic. It is not relaistic to think you will go from NEVER talking to girls to getting 4 Same Night Lays a month in 3 months. It is not realistic to expect yourself to be trying to get laid during your first few approaches etc.

The more realistic your goals are the higher the chances that you will make actual progress towards them and improve your life. Unrealistic goals have another name I like to call them; fantasies.

JS

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Do you ever ask yourself, What Would BRENT Do?
    (his hair, pink champagne!)

    What Would Barry Kirkey Do (hint, not a podcast)?

    What Would Style Do (borrow from Mystery)
    What would Hitch do (Wygant Wear pork pie hat)

    What would Cam Teone do (blog + paper towels)



    Thanks for the blog, podcast pleaze!

    Jay1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:26 PM

    After I broke up with my ex I had a brief period of unreasonable goals but then started lower them from time to time and never achieving them. Now I can't really tell what is reasonable for me and what is not.

    Actually I feel about giving up the whole pussy chase and considering not giving a fuck for an extended period of time.

    I can feel the hate and cynicism growing in me and that is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squid5:32 AM

    Yeah, achieving a series of smaller goals builds up some momentum and gives you something to be happy with. You may not have the fitness/health, relationships, or finances/career that you dreamed of, but if you are making steps towards your ideal goal, then that's worth something. Fantasies are just more time taken away from the life you do have.

    However, finding that balance between genuinely enjoying what you do have and pushing towards having more, can be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:52 AM

    Do you have anything that works on girls who are hotter than the fat 6s that you have pictures and videos with?

    ReplyDelete